There are so many benefits to taking Acting / Drama class for children and young people that it is difficult to know where to start. Before I list some of the many reasons why classes are amazing, it suffices to say that as teachers it is very easy for us to spot two things when walking into a room of strangers. If you speak to a stranger you can often tell if they took drama class and if you watch them walk you can tell if they took ballet class! Such is the power of Acting/ Drama Class. It affects the rest of your life. It instills in you a confidence which few other types of activity do.
“The imagination is closer to the actor than real life – more agreeable, more comfortable.” ― Stella Adler
- It will increase your self-esteem and confidence. This is the most obvious and wonderful result in taking Acting / Drama Class. Often young people and children start off in class nervous and anxious, but this feeling soon gives way to excitement and an inner feeling of ability which will stay with them forever.
- You will make lots and lots of friends. This is the Social Aspect of attending class at NPAS. Often the friends made in our school are the friends who stay with students for the rest of their lives. We have even attended NPAS weddings, where students have ended up getting married!
- You will learn the skills of listening, negotiating and communicating. To listen to someone you need to give them space and give them silence. If you rearrange the letters of the word listen you get the word silent!! Acting is as much about the other person as it is about you. This is a hugely valuable life lesson.
- Class will develop in you a sense of cultural awareness, and a real love of The Performing Arts. Being around NPAS and in such a rich environment of creativity and performance can only affect positively the young people and children who witness it and immerse themselves in it. As we always say, the more classes you can take with us the better, and the more time you can spend at NPAS the stronger the effect.
- You will learn empathy and identification. Drama opens up new dimensions of emotional experiences. By observing other people’s creative processes and products, it can assist you in accessing emotions, along with understanding different ways of interpreting and understanding information. In drama we express ideas, observations and feelings by making choices about roles and/or characters
- It will develop your ability to actually; creatively, imaginatively and ‘outside the box’. Acting / Drama teaches students how to become critical thinkers, rather than just passive viewers of life. Students will grow in their ability to constructively question their behaviors and the behaviors of their fellow students.
- You will become a creative individual through Drama. You will learn to judge constructively and therefore will lose the tendency to prejudge anyone or anything. This is a truly wonderful effect of class to witness in young people.
- At NPAS you will come into contact with other people from different backgrounds – your fellow students may be from different cultures and traditions and through a developing dependence on each other in class you will learn that they are no different to you.
- Of primary importance is learning to depend on each other in Acting / Drama Class. The class you will take at NPAS are full of team building exercises, group dynamics, collaboration and learning to see the world and life from your fellow students perspective.
- Over time you will begin to understanding important aspects of our psychology – who we are, what we think, what we feel about different aspects of life.
“If you want to be successful, take an acting class. Learning other skills will help you communicate with people and respect what they do”. Tina Fey
Asides from all of this you will learn how to speak clearly, to thing positively and to be self aware and in control of your own behaviour. The real joy for the directors of our school is when they attend a performance and meet past pupils not on the stage, although that is wonderful, but in the audience! One of the main purposes and benefits of our school is to instill in our students a love for the Arts, for Theatre, Cinema, Drama and Dance. Many of our students do end up working in the Arts but a much larger number develop a love of the Arts which stays with them throughout their lives. And now, with a new gereration of students who are the children of past pupils, their parents are doing the same thing with their own children – trying, with the help of NPAS, to instill in them a life long positive and beneficial love of all things ARTS.
“The most important thing is that you enjoy it. That’s what NPAS is about and why my time there was so important. The students are on there own individual journeys, whether it’s through Dance, Drama, Singing or Acting ….NPAS provides them with a fantastic outlet for it all.” – Colin Farrell Actor and Past Pupil